The Phoenix Shot TowerPosted: 2011-11-27
The Phoenix Shot Tower on East Lombard Street. This tower was used for creating shot pellets and cannon balls from 1828, through the Civil War, to 1892. Molten lead was dripped from a sieve at top of the tower, naturally rounded as it fell 234 feet, and landed in tank of water where it solidified. At one time Baltimore had three of these towers churning out lead ammunition.
– Posted using MobyPicture.com